Killing Creativity



So as my teenaged kids are exploring assorted options for their future lives (especially Justin who is graduating this year), so I am re-visiting what I know to be true in life in attempts to help them make some important decisions on their journey… and I came across one of my favourite TED talks ever!!! I had seen this years ago, but it is worth rewatching (over and over again).

AND… it just so happens to also reinforce why I am so passionate about helping the school in Haiti build an ART CLASSROOM!!!  "ART" encompasses actual art, but also music, dance and all things creative… which we know to be vital to for so many children, but so poorly understood or encouraged. Anyways, I love one of his final quotes in his talk...

"We need to see our children for the HOPE that they are… our task is to educate the WHOLE being so they can face the future and make something of it."

So despite our world screaming that academics, education, money and status is what "success" looks like, I'm trying to be the voice in the wilderness proclaiming something different… and the most critical piece of advice is an ancient piece of wisdom and truth… spoken by a really wise man centuries ago who knows even more about the future than Ken Robinson… Jesus said...

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart,
and with all your soul,
and with all your strength,
and with all your mind;
and love your neighbour as yourself.
Do this and you will live."
Luke 10:27-28

So what do I REALLY want for my children on this earth? 


1. I want them to love God with all their heart.
2. I want them to love themselves.
3. I want them to love others with as much passion.
4. I want them to find joy in a life of service to God and themselves and others.

And so with that base firmly established, now the task is to discern how this will play out in the specifics of what they choose to do! Justin is graduating and Lindsey is in Grade 11 so some HUGE decisions are being made over the next short while!! 

Both have strong academics (especially in the maths and sciences… clearly not MY genetics!), but both also have strong creative sides (I will lay claim to these genetics however) and strong athletic interests (from both Brad and I)!! So they could each go in so very many different directions!! But I'm excited to see where they end up and the last thing I want to do is kill their creativity in any way!!


And speaking of creativity, I have some other exciting news!!! I found a NEW creative passion!!! Well, it's not a passion yet, but I sense it will become one!!! More later on that, but meanwhile here is a hint!!!

1 comment:

Nancy Mason-Nicho said...

Are you thinking of starting a spiritual art journal? I've been thinking the same thing. If so we might have to get together.