My Journey...

I want to give a little behind the scenes insight about my current "life journey"... it's neat to look back and see how each little "stone on the cobblestone path of life" gets placed at just the right time...


The above layout called "Let Go and Fly" was created last summer as part of my "Scrapbook Your Faith" article for the current Winter issue of Canadian Scrapbooker Magazine (which by the way, you MUST get if you haven't already!!!!!).   At the time, I was feeling like God was calling me in a new direction, but it was very vague and quiet and unclear... and yet familiar... He's done it before (hence the layout).

So over the past several months, I've been waiting and praying and seeking direction... and although it's still not clear, I've had a few "moments of clarity"...

One fairly major one came this Fall as I was preparing for my next splendiferous Crop and Cruise Scrapbooking Cruise for Canadians!!!  I was busy hiring fantastic instructors, planning fun excursions and collecting HUGE amounts of swag to play and create with on board from generous sponsors.  Sooooo much fun!!!!!  Here's a photo of just a few of the boxes of supplies left outside my cabin upon arriving on the ship!!!  Our neighbours couldn't even get in and out of their cabin!!!


Meanwhile, my brother and my neice were planning a trip to Belo, Ethiopia with his fitness club through Canadian Food for the Hungry.  As I was collecting swag for my trip, he was also collecting "stuff" for his trip.  One night when he was over, he mentioned that they were looking for soccer uniforms to take for the kids at the local school in Ethiopia.  Brad and I looked at each other and we both knew in a heartbeat that we could meet that need!!!  Stored in our new garage (moved from our old house) was a bag full of new soccer uniforms... too long story why we had them and why we hadn't given them away in the move... but suffice it to say it became abundantly obvious that it was for this reason alone!!!!!  The joy I had in collecting swag for my cruise did not even begin to compare with the joy I felt turning those uniforms over to my brother to bless needy children in Africa.  Nor did the joy I felt seeing these pictures upon their return...




How ridiculously cool is that!!!!  From the floor of my garage onto the beautiful backs of children in Africa!!!!  Now don't get me wrong, I don't think that there is/was anything wrong with what I was doing in planning hot tropical vacations or being a stay-at-home mom, sub teaching, photography, etc.

BUT my heart begged me to answer this question:

What are you doing with your life that really matters?  

So I'm on the quest to discover exactly what, why and how God would like me to spend my time, my money, my energy, my new home and my passions to live a life that really matters and makes a difference!!!  Pretty sure I won't be moving to Africa or anything like that (but I also know to never say never!!!!!), but I am also pretty sure it will require sacrifice and I may have doubt and questions along the way (make that WILL have doubt and questions), but ultimately I'm terribly excited to discern the new direction He has for me!!!!

Is this a mid-life crisis???  Maybe.  I don't really care actually.  I like that I'm turning 45 in March.  I like that I feel I'm in a much better "space" than when I was in my 20s and 30s!!!  And I like a challenge in life and truly seek out all opportunities for improving and learning what new things God has for me (including our family trip to Mexico to build homes and this is another reason I'm taking the Soul Restoration course through Brave Girls).  And I am still feeling called to and have a heart for many of the things I'm currently doing (including the Scrapbook Your Heart retreat here in Alberta coming this May!!), working with teens, doing photography, teaching, writing for Canadian Scrapbooker, etc. I just need to figure out how it all fits together :)

And I would be delighted to inspire any one else who may be on a similar journey... please don't be afraid to ask the same question of your own life.  Re-read the journaling on my "Let Go and Fly"... I invite you to let go and fly with me... it is so worth it!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Diane said...

Thanks for this post, Allison. As you know I'm also making a change in my life and this has come after 4 years of prayer. I appreciated hearing about how you're struggling with "seeing" what God wants us to be doing since this was a question I kept asking myself - am I living the life he wants? Or am I running in circles?

Also, who's the cutie pie taking the picture of you taking a picture in the hallway on the cruise ship? {wink}

Jennifer Reynard said...

Beautiful post Allison!